Who can create a MS Teams in a Brightspace course?
This article explains who can create Teams environment within Brightspace AND when this environment can be created.
What roles can create an MS Teams in a Brightspace course?
- Instructor > They become an owner of the Team
- Assistant-Instructor > They become an owner of the Team
- LMS Coordinator (Light)
- Central Support
Please note that faculty/central support can create a Teams environment, but they do not become the owner of a team. Moreover, when they want to access the Teams environment a request is being sent to the owner(s) of that Teams environment.
Keep in mind that faculty / central support loose access within 1h after the request has been granted. If you, as a faculty support, want to stay enrolled in the Teams environment, you need to become an instructor in the course.
When can the MS Teams be created?
- When there is at least 1 instructor/assistant instructor enrolled in the course;
- Whose email address is known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory.
Please note that both conditions must be fulfilled, otherwise the Teams environment cannot be created.
Which email addresses are known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory?
Almost all email addresses that end with @... leidenuniv.nl are known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory, however there are a few exemptions. See below.
Please note that these extensions all have a separate Microsoft Office directory and are therefore not known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory:
- All external email adresses, like @gmail.com, @hotmail.com etc.
When in doubt, please contact ISSC helpdesk, to find out whether your email address is part of Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory.
What is the impact if all instructors within one course have email addresses that are not known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory?
Unfortunately, this means that a teams environment cannot be created for that course.
What are my options?
- Enroll at least 1 instructor with an email addresses that is known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory
- This person should be able to create the Teams environment.
- All other instructors will become guests in this environment, with limited rights.
- Manually create a MS Teams environment outside of Brightspace and share the Teams link in your Brightspace course.
- See here for more information.
Finally there is also an option for you to consider, but this might have severe impact on your day to day work:
In order to be able to create a Teams environment yourself in Brightspace, you need to update your work profile, so that your email address that is known in Leiden University's Microsoft Office Directory comes through to Brightspace. This will have sever impact on your day to day work, since your primary email address will be changed in all systems. Please do not hesitate to contact the PSSC or your Faculty's Support Team for advise.