In this article, you can read how you can add or create an award to your course. There is also a short tutorial video available to see how to create an award.
How do I add an award to my course?
- Navigate to Course Tools in the navbar of your course
- Click on Course Admin and on Awards (underneath Assessment). You will be navigated to the tab Classlist Awards, where you will find an overview of all the participants in your course and the awards they have received.
1. Click on Course Awards (second tab). Here you can find all awards that are used in this course.
2. Click Add Award To Course to create a new award and/or add it to your course.
You will see an overview of existing awards that you can add to your course. These are awards that you have previously created, or that have been created by colleagues and made accessible for others.
- Use Search Awards to easily find the desired awards.
- Select Show Only Awards I Created if you only want to see your own awards.
- If you want to add an existing award to your course, select it.
- Then click Add. Awards you have previously added to your course have a check mark.
- Click Create to create a new award. You will now navigate to the New Award page.
- Use Choose Award Image to choose the image for your award:
- Click From Existing Library to use an image from your database.
- Click Upload New Icon to use an image from your computer. Note that the ideal size is 100x100 pixels.
- Click Create your own image to create a new award (Classic Badge Designer).
- Use Issuer Information to enter information about who is the issuer of the award.
- Issuer Name: this is the person that issues the award. When you share the award with co-workers and/or use it in multiple courses, it can be useful to choose a simple name. It is advised to use Leiden University, but you could also use the name of the course or faculty.
- Issuer URL: this is the correct URL by default; (http://www.brightspace.com/).
- Issuer Contact: this is the correct contact by default; (email@example.com).
- Select Use this award in [current course] now to immediately add the award to the current course. If you do not want to add it right now, you can always do so later.
- Click Save and Close to save the award and return to the Course Awards page. You will now see the new award in your overview.
How do I create an award for my course?
- Give the award a title.
- Use Description to describe that the award entails, i.e. why students deserve this award. Note that students can see this description.
- Use Availability to select who can use this award:
- Make this award available to all of my courses: only you can use this award in all your courses.
- Make this award available to other creators and their courses: other teachers can use this award in their course. Note that using this option also means that all of the teachers that use Brightspace can use and modify this award. It is not advised to use this setting.
- Select Restrict award to [current course] and its child org units if other teachers can only use this award in the current course.
- Select whether the award can expire using Expiry.
- Never: the award cannot expire and will always remain visible for the student.
- Fixed Date: the award will expire on a certain date at midnight. Note that when the award transpires it becomes transparent for the student.
- Relative Time Period After Earning The Award: the award expires a certain amount of time after it was awarded. You can use the drop-down menu to select whether it should be days (Days), weeks (Weeks), months (Months), or years (Years). Use the field to fill out the number of days/weeks/months/years.
- Relative Day of Month: the award expires a certain amount of days and months after it was awarded. Note that if you do not specify a day, the award will expire on the last day of the specified month.
- Select if you want students to be notified a certain amount of time before the award expires. You can use the drop-down menu to select whether it should be days (Days), weeks (Weeks), months (Months), or years (Years). Use the field to fill out the number of days/weeks/months/years.
If you make the award available for everyone then that means that all teachers of Leiden University can use and edit the award.
As the creator of an award you will always have access to all awards you have created, regardless of the course you created them in.
When you make a change in an award that you are using in multiple courses, the change will be visible in all these courses! If you edit an award it changes everywhere, also at the places where you have already used the award.
Video: How to create an award
You can also watch this short video to see how you can create an Award of the type cerfiticate.
This videos is made by Brightspace supplier D2L. Some screens might have a different look and feel to the Universiteit Leiden Brightspace environment.