This article walks you through a recommend workflow while creating and adding content to your course.
Prepare course outline & structure
Chances are your course is already provided with one of the two standard Leiden Course Structures: a week or theme structure or is already fully migrated by our Support Team. Nevertheless, you may want to finetune your course outline and structure to optimize it to your needs:
Prepare assessments and other course activities
Before adding content into your course structure we highly recommend to first create certain assessments and other course activities. The flow of first creating e.g. an (Turnitin) assignment and then placing it in the right unit saves you a lot of going back and forth.
Tip! Have look at the Preparing Assessments unit in the Brightspace Online Training for Instructors course as well.
- Optional: Set up the Gradebook if you would like to register Grades in Brightspace.
- Create and set your Brightspace assessments:
Add content to your course
When you have a clear view on the structure of your course and the assessments you can start adding the content in your structure.
Go to Content in your course and select a Unit or Lesson where you want to place a content item.
Two buttons will appear on the screen:
- From here you can add already made assignments, discussions, quizzes to the content of your course. Moreover, from here you are also able to upload documents and place them directly in your course.
- From here you can create html documents and weblinks and place them directly in your course.
- Please note that you are also able to create new assessment types via this button. We highly recommend you to first create your assessments and then placing them in the course content via Add Existing.
Manuals on adding content to your course per content type
Below you can find links to extensive manuals per content item type and how to add them to your course content.
Files and media
- Upload and add a file
- Create and add a New Lesson or New Folder
- Create and add a HTML Document
- Create and add a Weblink
- Add a Kaltura Video
- Add a link to a Weblecture video
- Add a video file
- Add a link to copyright protected litertature from the LOR
- Add a download link to a file
- Upload and add an SCORM/xAPI Object
Brightspace Assessment tools
- Add a link to an (Turnitin) Assignment / Discussion Board / Quiz
- Add a link to a Self Assessment [manual under construction]
Third Party Assessment tools
- Create and add a link to a Pitch2Peer Assignment
- Create and add a link to a Peermark Assignment
- Create and add a link to a Medischonderwijs Assessment
- Create and add a link to a Remindo Assessment
- Create and add a link to Labbuddy
- Create and add a link to a FeedbackFruits Assessment [manual under construction]
Tip! Have a look at the When the course's start date is approaching unit in the Brightspace Online Training for Instructors course as well.