This article explains how you can use Pitch2Peer to let students check each others work.
Table of Contents
What is Pitch2Peer?
Pitch2Peer is a review tool that allows students to learn from each other’s work and feedback. Following an assignment, such as a presentation or personal research or a review of literature, students submit their ‘pitches’ to Pitch2Peer.
The program supports different types of ‘pitches’, such as videos, photos, posters, slideshows, animations and (blog) texts. It is also possible to embed external media, such as YouTube or Prezi-presentations. The students can then be asked to reflect on their own work, as well as review (anonymously if necessary) one or more of their peer’s pitches. You can ask them to reflect or review with specific criteria and/or questions in mind. Also, the students can be motivated by using ‘likes’ and ‘medals’ to reward the best pitches. As an instructor you can of course also give feedback yourself.
Where do I find Pitch2Peer?
- Go to Content
- Select the module/submodule where you want to place the Pitch2Peer Assignment
- Click on Add Existing and click on More
- Scroll down and click on Pitch2Peer.
In the next screen add a title for your Pitch2Peer Module, this name will appear in the content area AND as the name of the Grade Item if you choose to Send Grades from Pitch2Peer to the Gradebook.
And click on Add Pitch2Peer
Your Pitch2Peer assignment now appears in your content area, as shown below.
Please note that the Pitch2Peer Module is set to visible by default. If you want to hide the Assignment for your students, set the switch to hidden.
How do I use Pitch2Peer?
The main page of Pitch2Peer appears when you select Pitch2Peer. It contains three main categories:
- Home: You can quickly see the assignment and the number of pitches. Besides that, you can easily change some personal settings or go to the help center when necessary.
- Gallery: An overview of the assignments and the corresponding pitches.
- Manage module: You can change all your settings and assignments here, explained below.
Preparation: add students to Pitch2Peer
Pitch2peer is a separate tool, and we recommend that you import students into it before they start submitting documents. If you don't import students, you must ensure that all students have logged into Pitch2peer at least once; otherwise, students won't be able to find each other to add to a 'team' for requesting feedback.
The most convenient sequence is to first download the list of student numbers and names from Brightspace. For this, see How do I export the Classlist, including group or section enrollments?, but only select 'User details' for: First name, Last name, Email. Uncheck all data about grades, as you won't need that. The Username (student number) will be included in the export automatically. After that, create your Pitch2peer assignment and then import your student list.
- Go to Manage module > Students in the top menu in Pitch2peer.
- The list of all students in this module is shown, which is probably still empty.
- In the screen menu (top-right corner), click on Import students.
- Click on Upload File and select your csv file. A preview is shown of the student names and accounts Pitch2Peer was able to read from the file.
- If this looks good, click on Import students into module. The dialog screen closes, and the module's student list is shown.
- The student list now shows all students in your module, including the students you just added.
The manage module category consist of different sub-categories with the aim to manage everything in Pitch2Peer:
Here, you can change the module settings, like module title and student access.
An overview of the existing assignments and the dates and times of the assignments. You can also add new assignments here (adding a new assignment is explained later in this article).
An overview of all pitches that are handed in by students per assignment.
An overview of all peer reviews that are handed in by students per assignment.
An overview of all reflections that are handed in by students per assignment.
An overview of all comments.
An overview of all grades that are handed in by students per assignment.
An overview of all students that are enrolled for Pitch2Peer assignments.
Add new Assignment
Fill in the following when adding a new assignment:
- Type in the Assignment title.
- Choose the type of pitch.
- Choose either an individual or group assignment
- Choose the criteria and the way the peer review should be organized.
- Choose to enable/disable the reflection option.
- Set the pitch period.
- Check all the options for the assignment and save it.
Pitch2Peer for Groups
Warning: Pitch2Peer Groups are not linked to Brightspace Groups
Since Brightspace Groups are not linked to Pitch2Peer, it is not possible to transfer the Groups to Pitch2Peer. If you would like to use groups in Pitch2Peer, you can either:
This article shows how students can add members to their group. -- moet nog aangemaakt worden
This option assures you that students will only be able to add group members from their Brightspace group. Furthermore, only group members will be able to see this assignment.
Let students add their group members
Pitch2Peer does not automatically import the Brightspace Classlist. By default, students can only find students who have opened the Pitch2Peer assignment before. Therefore, we advise to upload the classlist to Pitch2Peer prior to making the group assignment.
To upload the Classlist, go to Grades and click on Export
- Make sure you have selected Last Name and First Name
- Double click the checkbox to uncheck all grade items
- Click on Export as CSV
Now you can set up the assignment in Pitch2Peer. Make sure you select "As a team" (step 3).
Set up release conditions per assignment
If you want to be sure that students can only see the Pitch2Peer assignment if they are a member of a specific group, you can add release conditions to the assignment.
1. First, you need to Set up the assignment.
For your own ease we recommend adding Group XX to the title, so you know for which group the Pitch2Peer module is.
When your module is placed in Content, is should look like below:
Next, click on the 3 dots and click on View Release Conditions.
Click on create and in the next screen, set the condition for the group. Finally, click on create and then save.
Repeat the steps above for all the groups and your content area should look something like below:
As you can see we have a Pitch2Peer Assignment available per group. Proceed as stated under: How do I use Pitch2Peer?
Grading Pitch2Peer Assignments
Please grade the Pitch2Peer assignments on a scale of 1-10. Use a period as a decimal separator.
e.g. Grade an assignment with 7.6
If you enter a two digit number without a separator you can not transfer the grades to Brightspace Grades.
e.g. If you enter a 76 as a grade, you cannot transfer the grade to Brightspace. Enter 7.6 instead.
Sending Grades from Pitch2Peer to Gradebook
- Navigate to the Pitch2Peer Module
- Click on Manage Module
- Click on Grades
In the next screen, click on the Hamburger Menu Icon and click on Send Grades.
Do NOT alter the weight, just click on Send Grades to Brightspace.
Please note that the Grade Weight does not imply the weight to calculate the final grade, although the text might suggest otherwise.
Navigate to Grades and see your new Grade item "Pitch2Peer"
Click on Edit if you want to:
- Change the name of the grade item OR
- Adjust the Weight
- Adjust the Grade Scheme
- Visibility for Students
DO NOT CHANGE the Maximum Points. This should always remain 100.