How do I attach a grade item to a quiz?
When you want to evaluate a quiz, you can do so with the help of a grade item. You first need to attach a grade item to the quiz.
Read the article How do I use the Gradebook? if you are unfamiliar with grade items and want to learn how to create a grade item.
- Navigate to Course Tools in the navbar of your course.
- Click Quizzes. You will now land on the Quiz homepage, where you will find an overview of your quizzes.
- In the overview, search for the quiz you want to attach to a grade item and click the fold-out arrow.
- Click Edit. You will navigate to the Properties tab of the quiz.
If you want to attach a grade item to a new quiz, read the article: How do I create a quiz? to learn how to create a new quiz.
- Navigate to Assessment.
- Tick the box Automatic Grade if you want to allow students to see their score immediately after completion:
- If you enable this option, students will see their score immediately when they complete the quiz.
- You must enable this option if you want Brightspace to publish grades automatically to the grade book (see 4).
- You must enable this option to show students the default submission message when they complete a quiz.
- The displayed score only shows what Brightspace can automatically calculate.
Note: questions that you have to check manually (such as open questions) get a score of zero in Brightspace. This means that students can get a (highly) distorted picture of what their score is if you check this option when the quiz contains many open questions.
- In the drop-down menu below Grade Item, select the grade item you want to attach to the quiz. Click add grade Item to create a new grade item in a new window.
- Tick Auto Export to Grades if you want automatically assessed quiz attempts to be published to the grade book. Note: you first need to attach a grade item to a quiz to be able to use this option. In addition, you must enable the option Allow attempt to be set as graded immediately upon completion (see 2).
- Select at Student View Preview how you want the scores to be displayed to students. Click on the fold-out arrow to adjust the settings. Note: by adjusting this setting here, you will overwrite the default student view for this grade item.
When a grade item is already attached to a different activity, it will no longer appear in the drop-down menu.
Amount of Allowed Attempts
You can set how many attempts a student can make on a quiz in the Assessment tab. If you allow multiple attempts, you must also indicate which score will end up in the grade book.
- At Attempts Allowed, fill in how many attempts a student can make on a quiz and click Apply.
- Select which return attempt (s) count / count in the assessment of the quiz:
- Highest Attempt: only the attempt with the highest score counts.
- Lowest Attempt: only the attempt with the lowest score counts.
- Average of all Attempts: the final score is the average of the scores of all attempts.
- First Attempt: only the first attempt counts.
- Last Attempt: only the last attempt counts.
- In the Advanced Attempt Conditions area, you can set whether students must achieve a certain score on an attempt in order to be allowed to make another attempt. You can set both a minimum and a maximum score.
- Click Save and Close to save your settings and to return to the Quiz homepage.
It is possible to set a specific amount of attempts for a certain student. You can do this at the How do I set restrictions for a quiz? Restrictions tab.
You can always attach a grade item to a quiz, even if there are already students who have taken the quiz. The scores are automatically synchronised in the grade book.