How do I use Discussions?
Discussions are a great tool to:
- Allow students to work together. A discussion is a place where students can come together online and therefore a good place for students to work together. You can create different discussion topics for different groups and give them a space to share documents;
- Allow students to easily discuss certain topics that are relevant to the course;
- Allow students to provide each other with (peer)feedback. Students can share files, like documents, images, and videos, in discussion topics that can subsequently be viewed by everyone who has access to that topic. This allows students to provide other students with peer feedback and receive feedback on their own material.
You can create discussion forums in Discussions, and to these forums you can add discussion topics. A topic is a place where students can post and read messages. Students will not be able to have discussions in a forum without topics.
- Go to Course Tools in the navbar of your course.
- Click on Discussions. You will now see the Discussions homepage.
- The Discussions homepage shows you an overview of all the forums and the accompanying topics that have been created for the specific course. This is the Discussions List.
- The Subscriptions tab allows you to select how you want to receive notifications (in the form of an email) about discussions forums, topics, and threads to which you are subscribed.
- The tab Group and Section Restrictions allows you to see which group of students you have granted access to which forum and/or topic. You can also change the access from here. Click on Save when you are done editing.
- You can generate statistics about the forums, topics, and/or their users using the Statistics tab. You can use this tool to see which students are participating in a discussion, which topic generates the most or least reactions, etc. You can export this data to Excel.
- Click on New to create a new discussion forum or topic.
- Click on More Actions to:
- copy a forum or copy a topic to a different forum (Copy).
- change the order in which the forums and topics are displayed (Reorder).
- select topics and/or forums to delete (Delete).
- restore deleted topics and/or forums (Restore).
- Click on Hide All Topics to collapse all topics. This will provide you with a better overview of all the available forums in the course.
- Click on Settings (top right corner) to directly go to the Discussion Settings and change the settings of all forums.
The Subscriptions tab shows you a list of the forums, topics, and threads to which you are currently subscribed to receive notifications.
You will automatically be subscribed to every thread within a forum or topic when you subscribe yourself to said forum or topic. You can read more about subscribing to a forum or topic here: How do I manage my discussions?
- Select whether you want to see all of your subscriptions or just those related to forums, topics and/or threads. Click on Apply.
- You can select whether you want to receive the notifications in the minibar, as an email, or in your daily summary of activity below Default Notification Method.
- You can select the notification method for each forum, topic, and thread separately.
- Click on Subscribed to unsubscribe from a forum, topic, or thread.
Group and Section Restrictions
You can use restrictions to assign forums and topics to certain groups. Only the students in this group will be able to see and use the intended forum or topic.
- Select for which group you want to set the restrictions for what forum.
- Adjust the check marks if you want to grant/remove access to certain forums and/or topics.
- Click on Save to save your adjustments.
- Click on Automatically create restricted topics if you want to create topics in a forum that are only accessible to specific groups. The topics in the forum will automatically be named after the groups in the selected group category.
The Statistics tab allows you to see the statistics of the discussion. There are two types of statistics: statistics of the users and statistics of of the forums and topics.
- Below Org Unit Statistics you can see the total amount of posted threads and replies (Replies) and the total amount of unapproved posts.
- Below User Statistics you can see the activities per student. Select whether you want to see the statistics of all the students or the statistics from a specific group behind View By. Then click on Apply.
- Click Export to CSV File to download the statistics as a CSV file (which can be opened in Excel).
Forums and Topics:
- Below Org Unit Statistics you can see the total amount of posted threads and replies (Replies), the amount of pinned threads, and the number of unapproved posts.
- Below Forum and Topic Statistics you can see the activity per forum and topic.
- Click on Export to CSV File to download the statistics as a CSV file (which can be opened in Excel).
Video: How to adjust Subscriptions to Discussions
Below, you can watch a video made by Brightspace supplier D2L. Note: these videos show a Brightspace environment that has a different look and feel to the Universiteit Leiden Brightspace environment.