How do I manage my discussions?
In this article, you can read how to manage discussion forums and topics.
This article contains:
Click the fold-out arrow next to the title of the Forum.
- Click Add Topic to add topics.
- Click Collapse Forum/Expand Forum to hide/show de topics of the forum.
- Click Edit Forum to edit the forum.
- Click Hide from Users/Make Visible to Users to hide/make visible the forum from students. Note: the topics in the forum will also be hidden from the students.
- Click View Forum Statistics to go to the statistics page.
- Click Subscribe/Unsubscribe to (un)subscribe to forum updates.
- Click Delete to delete the forum.
Click the fold-out arrow next to the title of the Topic.
- Click View Topic to view the topic. NB: you can also click the title of the topic to view the topic.
- Click View Topic in Grid View for a clear view of the topic's activity (which content is read/not read, who has participated, etc.).
- Click Edit Topic to edit the topic.
- Click Hide from Users/Make Visible to Users to hide/make visible the topic from students
- Click View Topic Statistics to go to the statistics page.
- Click Approve/Unapprove All threads to (un)approve all of the threads within a topic at once. Note: this option is only visible when you have enabled moderating for this topic or the corresponding forum.
- Click Subscribe/Unsubscribe to (un)subscribe to topic updates.
- Click Delete to delete the topic.
As the moderator of the discussions you can determine whether messages (posts) created by students can be posted immediately or only with your permission. This can be changed for all messages at once or per message.
For all messages
When you are creating a new forum or topic you can check a box to allow messages to only be visible to students after you have reviewed these messages. This can be done for all topics within a forum (when creating/editing of a forum) or per topic (when creating/editing of a topic).
- Click New Forum/Topic or Edit Forum/Topic.
Check the second box below Options. This option allows a post to only visible to other students after you have approved it.
Besides editing and deleting threads/posts there are a few more options you can use to streamline your use of discussions.
- Mark All Posts as Read/Unread. This can be done for all the posts in the forum topic, but it's possible to mark individual posts as Read/Unread in the topic itself as well. This can be done through usage of the posts own drop down menu.
- Flag Thread/Post. Flagging threads/posts can be useful if you want to return to a thread/post at a later time, or if you want to monitor replies to the thread/post. Flagging threads/posts is individual and cannot be seen by other users. You can easily find your flagged threads/posts by clicking Flagged in the Filter by tool.
- Pin Thread. You can pin a thread to the top of its forum by selecting the Pin Thread option. This is particularly useful for upping the visibility of your important threads - such as graded discussions - as they won't get crowded out by other threads in the same forum. Pinning threads is a powerful tool for maintaining your forum's clarity.
- Copy Thread. Copying a thread creates a new thread with the exact same properties as the original. Links to grade items are not copied.