How do I set restrictions for an Assignment?
- Click Course Tools in the navbar of your course.
- Click Assignments. You will land on the Assignments homepage with an overview of all the assignments you have created.
- Click New Assignment to create a new assignment.
- Click the arrow next to the assignment to open the quick-menu.
- Click Edit Assignment to edit an assignment.
- Navigate to Restrictions (second tab).
- Hidden from users is turned on by default when you create an assignment. This means that students cannot see the assignment. Deselect the option Hidden from users to make the assignment visible to students.
- Indicate a deadline at Has Due Date. Important: if you select Now as the due date this renders the Properties Assignment type and Submission type unchangeable. By clicking Now, you will set the actual deadline in motion. Make sure to communicate this deadline in advance with your students.
- Indicate whether the assignment Has Start Date. This is the time and date when students can start submitting the assignment. Indicate whether the assignment Has End Date. This is the time and date when the assignment closes and students are no longer able to view or submit the assignment. Click Now if the date and time are to start immediately. Important: the option Now should only be used for End Date when you want to close the assignment directly.
- Add release conditions if you wish.
- Under Special Access, you can select whether certain students get special access to the assignment:
- Select Allow users with special access to submit outside the normal availability dates for this folder if certain students get different submission dates.
- Select Allow only users with special access to see this folder if only certain students are allowed to see a certain folder.
- Click Add Users to Special Access to select students who will get special access.
- Click Save and Close to return to the Assignments homepage.
It is not recommended to set the Due Date and End Date to Now when creating a new assignment. It is best to schedule a Due Date and an End Date during the process of creating the assignment. This way you do not have to worry about processing communicated deadlines and it makes it much clearer for the student when the deadline is set, and when they will not have access to the assignment anymore.
When selecting Has End Date, students will not be able to see their submissions after the end date. When selecting Has Due Date, students can access and even hand in their submissions after the due date. As an instructor you will be able to see if they complied to the due date, or if they handed in their submissions late.
Add users to Special Access
- If you want certain students to be given a different deadline than the rest of the group, set a separate deadline at Due Date.
- If you want the assignment to only be displayed to a few students, fill in a customized Start Date and/or End Date.
- Use the Search Options to find students that have special access in any way:
- Select in the drop-down menu under View By if you want to search among all students in the course (User) or in a certain group (Groups) and click Apply. If you chose a group, you can then select which group you would like to search in the drop-down menu, (click Apply once more).
- In the search bar, fill in (a part of) the student's name or their student number to quickly find them. Now click enter or click the magnifying glass icon.
- Select the student(s) it concerns. Tick the box at the top to select all students that are showing up through the search filter.
- Click Save to return to the Edit Assignment page.
By searching per group, you can easily give the entire group within the course special access, without having to look up each individual student separately to add them.
Video on setting restrictions for an Assignment
This video is made by Brightspace supplier D2L. Some screens might have a different look and feel to the Universiteit Leiden Brightspace environment.