How do I submit a file on behalf of a student in Turnitin?
In Brightspace it is not possible to submit a file on behalf of a student for Turnitin Assignments. This article covers the steps you need to take to sumbit a file on behalf of a student in Turnitin.
PLEASE NOTE! Submissions handed in by you via Turnitin.com on behalf of a student do not sync back to Brightspace. This means that the submissions that are done via Turnitin.com, are not visible in Brightspace, nor for the student.
Please consider to let your students hand in their own work, instead of submitting a file on behalf of a student via Turnitin.com
Step 1: First time log into Turnitin.com - Create a Turnitin Assignment via Brightspace & Reset your Password first
If you have never logged in to Turnitin.com you should first reset your password, before you can actually log in. Turnitin knows you exist via Brightspace, but you need to set a password first.
1. Go to https://www.turnitin.com/login_page.asp?lang=en_us and click on Forgot your Password? Click here.
- Enter your email address as presented in Brightspace.
- Enter your last name as presented in Brightspace.
- Click on Next
Unsure what your email address is in Brightspace? Please see the Notifications page in Brightspace under Contact Methods.
After you have clicked on Next, Turnitin will send a link to your email address. Please follow the instructions of that email, to reset your password.
Step 2: Log in to Turnitin.com
Go to https://www.turnitin.com/login_page.asp?lang=en_us to log in Turnitin.
- Enter your email as presented in Brightspace
- Enter your password
- Click on Log in.
Step 3: Look for the Course Name of the Assignment
After you have logged in, you will see an overview of your classes that resemble courses in Brightspace, as shown below.
Click on the Class name of the course where you want to submit a file on behalf of a student for an assignment.
Cannot find the class you are looking for?
Go to the Brightspace course and click on any Turnitin Assignment within that course. This allows Turnitin to sync your account with that specific course. After that, the class will appear in your Turnitin overview.
Step 4: Look for the assignment
After you clicked on the class name, you will see an overview of all Turnitin Assignments in that course, as shown below.
Target the Assignment you want to submit a file on behalf of a student, and click on More Actions. Next click on Submit.
In the example above, we want to upload a file for the Assignment called Sample Assignment.
Step 5: File upload on behalf of a student
- If needed, select Single File Upload from the Submit drop down menu and choose:
- Multiple File upload, in case you want to batch upload for multiple students. See here for more information.
- Select an enrolled student name using the author pull down menu on the submission page. Papers submitted by an instructor on behalf of a student will appear in the student portfolio just as if the student made the submission.
- Enter a submission title
- Upload a file from:
- A computer
- or Google Drive
Next, click on Upload.
Review the submission and click on Confirm.
If everything went well, you'll see a Congratulations message.
PLEASE NOTE! You will NOT see this submission back in Brightspace.