How do I attach a grade item to an assignment?
To evaluate an assignment, use the help of a Grade Item: Grade Items represent the course items that you would like to evaluate in the grade book. By attaching a grade item to an assignment, Brightspace will calculate and register the final grade for you.
Table of Contents
Attaching a Grade Item to an assignment
- Navigate to Course Tools in the navbar of your course.
- Click Assignments.
- In the overview table, search for the assignment to which you want to attach a Grade Item. Click on the fold-out arrow next to it.
- Click Edit Assignment.
- If you have not created an assignment yet: click New Assignment to create one now.
You can attach or create a Grade Item and indicate the maximum points within the assignment by filling in the Score Out Of amount. When clicking the Score Out Of box, a grade item with the same name is created automatically. This Grade Item will always be numeric.
If you remove an Assignment with an automatically created Grade Item, the Assignment will disappear but the Grade Item will not automatically disappear. The Grade Item needs to be removed manually from the Gradebook.
If you do not wish to create a new Grade Item, but attach an already created Grade Item, click the In Grades box that has appeared after clicking the Score Out Of box. You can now:
- Select an already created Grade Item (Choose from Grades).
- Continue without a Grade Item but with a Score Out Of amount (Remove from Grades).
- Unset the Score Out Of box (Reset to Ungraded).
If a Grade Item has already been attached to another activity then it will no longer show up as an option in the drop-down menu.
In the overview of the Assignments you can see by this icon whether or not an assignment is attached to a grade item. To see which item is attached to the assignment, hover over this icon with your mouse.