The new Brightspace release is available from 22 July 2022 10:00
Please be advised to check out the new changes regarding Turnitin Assignments and the recommended settings.
Turnitin – New Manage Turnitin Features
Please note that per 27/07/2022 the Reports Generated settings are no longer visible here, but under More Options. The settings can be changed as before the July release.
When creating Turnitin Assignments the options layout and feature names are changed with this release:
- GradeMark is now Online Grading and enables you to transfer the grade you have inserted in Turnitin FeedbackStudio to Brightspace.
- Originality Check is now Similarity Report. When you turn this feature on, submissions of students are checked for plagiarism.
See here for more information on how to create a Turnitin assignment.
Recommended Similarity Report settings
Please be advised NOT to still not use the Generate Reports on due date setting; since this will result in unwanted behavior. See here for more information on this issue.
- Check the box Enable Similarity Report for this folder.
- Leave Submissions Checked on Automatically similarity checking on all submissions, as it will save quite some work.
- Check the box Enable Online Grading for this folder
- Leave Transfer on Automatically sync, otherwise grades will not be transferred to the Brightspace Gradebook.
- Set Reports Generated to: Generate similarity reports immediately (students can resubmit)
We advise all users to always enable Online Grading for your Turnitin Assignment if you assess with Feedback Studio, otherwise you will not be able to transfer Turnitin grades to Brightspace.
See here for more information on the different settings.
Turnitin - Restrict files to file types supported by Turnitin
Previously, Turnitin similarity check only supported specific file types while Turnitin grading check accepted any file type.
Now it is possible to restrict file types to those supported by Turnitin. See here for more information on the submission settings for a Turnitin Assignment.
Turnitin feature names are now the same in Brightspace and in Turnitin
The Turnitin submission view within Brightspace now reflects the new Turnitin feature names that match Brightspace’s user interface styling and text. The column titled Turnitin Similarity is now Turnitin Similarity Report. The column titled Turnitin GradeMark is changed to Turnitin Online Grading.
Grades – Copy grade items only copies unique or in-use grade schemes
When copying a course or using the Copy Course Components functionality only in use grade schemes and unique grade schemes are copied.
When a grade item is copied, any grade scheme associated with the item is also copied. If a grade scheme is not associated to a grade item within the course offering, the scheme is only copied if the grade scheme is unique (i.e., there are no duplicates which match on name, and ranges).
Previously, unassociated grade schemes were always copied over with the grade items, causing unnecessary duplicates.
Browser alert updated
When trying to log into Brightspace while using an outdated browser, you will get prompted to update your browser. See here for more information on recommended browser versions.