Through the video portal, you can share videos via a channel with students and employees of Leiden University. To share a video you have to create a channel, add videos to it and then grant others access to that channel.
Create a Channel
- From the user menu, click My Channels.
- My Channels provides an overview of your channels.
- Click on the + Create Channel button to create a new channel.
- As with adding a video, you can also fill in information fields (metadata) here.
- For now, it is only necessary to give the channel a name. Enter a name.
- At the bottom of the page you can save the settings by clicking the Save button.
- After you hit the Save button, you will be directed back to the top of the web page.
- If the channel creation was successful, a green information bar ('The information was saved successfully') appears on the web page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the web page and click on the Back to Channel link.
Adding videos to your channel
- Click on the user menu and navigate to My Channels.
- Click on the thumbnail of the channel you want to add videos to.
- In the screen, click the blue Add to Channel button.
- Select the videos you want to add to the channel.
- Click on the Publish to add the selected videos to the channel.
- If publishing was successful, an information bar will appear ('All media was published successfully').
Posting videos externally
- To post a video to an external website, you will first need to make that video accessible to the public.
- To make a channel public you need to contact the video coordinator of the faculty you are part of, only they can do this.
- After the page is made public navigate to the video in 'My Media' and click on the title to open the video page.
- Below the video there is the Share tab, click on it.
- In the options of the Share tab, you can choose to post a link to the video, with a start and end time if necessary.
When you click on Embed, you will be presented with other options that do allow the video to play on the site.
The options here again include a start and end time, but also the options Player Size with which a fixed size of the player can be determined and the Responsive Sizing button with which the option can be turned on so that the player grows proportionally to the size of the browser.
When the settings are complete, copy the text under the Link to Media Page or the Embed text and you can use it in the HTML code of your website or in the Text tab of a WordPress website.
Withdrawing videos (unpublishing)
You may find that you no longer want to share a video. This section explains how to retract a video.
- From the user menu, click My Media.
- Select the videos you want to withdraw.
- Click on Actions on the right side of the page
- In the action menu, click + Publish (unpublishing goes through the same menu option as publishing).
- Uncheck the channel where you want to unpublish your video.
- Or click on Private to make your video visible only to yourself..
- Click Save to save your settings.
- If you chose Private or you removed your video from the only channel where it was published, you will get the above message.
- Click OK to confirm.
Allow access to your channel
This section explains how to grant someone access to your channel. This way it is possible to share your videos with others.
- In the user menu, click on 'My Channels'.
- Click the pen icon at the bottom right of the thumbnail of the channel you want to grant access to.
- Click on the Members tab.
- Click on the blue 'Add Member' button on the right side of the page.
- An Add member window will appear:
- Enter the ULCN name of the person you want to give access to your channel (The person must have logged into the video portal at least once).
- Suggestion will appear based on the name you enter.
- Click on the name of the person you want to add.
- Click Add to add the person.
- If adding was successful, a confirmation will appear on the web page.