This article explains how to use the Tools in the Live Room.
When you click Tools in the toolbar, the Course Tools panel opens. This window displays the available tools for the Live Room:
The following tools are covered below:
If you click on YouTube, a new window will open where a Youtube link can be entered. You can then add this video to a playlist via Add to playlist or play directly via Play.
The Whiteboard option facilitates a whiteboard, on which you can draw and write. The following toolbar appears when using a whiteboard:
There are several options in the toolbar (left to right):
- Hide/Show active Whiteboards.
- Undo (undo up to 10 edits within the same session ).
- Redo (redo up to 10 edits within the same session).
- Pencil tool.
- Rectangle icon, with a pull-down menu to select other shapes.
- Adjust pencil width.
- Insert an image.
- Change the background of the Whiteboard.
- To the right of the toolbar are two icons:
- "Three Points" icon.
- X icon.
- The "three-point" icon opens a new pull-down window that allows you to perform the following actions:
- Export the whiteboard.
- Import a whiteboard.
- Clear the current whiteboard.
- Clear all whiteboards.
- Allow all participants to move objects on the whiteboard.
- The 'X' icon closes the Whiteboard for all participants. On the left side of the bar you will see the following:
- The 'Active board' is the board you are currently working on.
- With the 'Add board' button, a new Whiteboard can be added.
Please refer to this link for a detailed explanation of all Whiteboard functionalities.
Sharing your screen is a useful option when you want to show something to participants during the Live Room that is not easily displayed from the available tools.
To start sharing your screen:
- Click the Desktop share in the Tools window.
- Click Start Screen Share.
- Optionally, uncheck Stream screen share in HD to improve functionality with a poorer Internet connection.
Desktop sharing in Windows with Chrome
In the pop-up window below there are three tabs visible:
- Your Entire Screen: Share the entire screen.
- Application Window: Only share the window of the program.
- Chrome Tab: Share a specific tab in Chrome.
Once you've singed what you want to share, click share.
Desktop sharing op een Mac
Desktop sharing on a Mac should follow these steps:
In the case of Mac OS X Catalina or later, you will get the pop-up:
- Select Open System Preferences
- Select Security & Privacy
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Scroll through the left column until Screen Recording is visible.
- In the Screen Recording section, check the box that matches Google Chrome and/or Firefox.
When you're done sharing your screen, go back to the Live Room.
- Then click Stop Desktop or the Xbutton.
- The Stop Desktop button stops sharing the selected and displays the pop-up selection again.
- The X button will stop desktop sharing completely.
Caution: When sharing your screen in iOS no system audio is shared. Third-party software is required to share system audio.
The Quizzes option offers the possibility to create quizzes in the Live Room.
- Click Quiz.
- Click the + button to create a quiz.
The following options are visible in the window:
- Enter quiz name input field.
- Enter question 1 input field.
- The attachment icon allows a file to be added to the quiz.
- The Question type drop-down menu that allows questions to be added:
- Multiple Choice: Multiple Choice Questions.
- Multiple Answers: There is the possibility to have more than 1 correct answer.
- Open Question: Open questions, cannot be assessed automatically.
- Fill in the field.
- Click Save.
You can also edit or delete the quiz:
- To edit a quiz: Select the quiz and click on the pencil icon.
- To delete a quiz: Select the quiz and click on the trash icon.
- To add more quizzes, press the + button.
After adding one or more quizzes to the list, there are the following options:
- Add to playlist.
- Start Quiz.
After taking the quiz, the results will be available in the Results tab.
The Video Library option allows videos to be added to the Live Room. These videos must already have been uploaded in the Gallery or in My Media.
- The available videos can be searched via the search field:
- Select a video and click the Add to Playlist button to add it to the playlist or play button to play the video instantly.
- When you're done adding videos to your playlist, click Close.
Interactieve video's, multi-stream video's en 360 video's are not supported in the Live Room.
With the Recording option, it is possible to make a recording in the Live Room. In the pop-up window, there is the possibility to set a recording time.
- The choice in recording time are:
- 30 minutes
- 1 hour
- 2 hours
- 3 hours
- It can take up to 3 minutes for a recording to start, take this into account when recording the Live Room.
During the recording, the following bars can be displayed:
- 'Recording has started'.
- 'Recording will start momentarily'.
- 'Recording is finishing and uploading'.
- 'File has been processed, and you can view recording inside recordings folder'.
As soon as the recording begins, a recording timer appears in the toolbar.
When the set recording time is almost over, a notification appears under the toolbar with the option to extend the recording by 30 minutes.
At the end of the session, you can stop recording by clicking on the recording timer. A pop-up window will open where you can stop recording.
- Click Stop Recording to stop recording .
- As soon as the recording is stopped and processed, the message 'Recording completed!' appears. The recording can be found on your channel.
In a Breakout Room, all participants can be placed in a separate room and can independently hold small sessions.
The number of Breakout Rooms is limited to 30 rooms, over which the number of participants is divided.
To create Breakout Rooms, first, click Tools, and then click Breakout.
Participants can be manually dragged to the different Rooms or the system automatically assigns them based on the number of spaces you want to divide them between:
- Click Clear assignment to unassign rooms participants.
- Click + Add room to add more rooms.
- It is possible to set a time limit for a Breakout Room sessions by checking the Set time limit box.
- Click Breakout to start a Breakout session, or click Close to cancel the process.
The Breakout Room has many of the functionalities that the joint Live Room also has, namely:
- Share documents
- Desktop sharing
During the session, a participant can call the host with the Call Instructor button:
When a participant has called the host, the host receives the following message on the screen:
Click Join to go to the relevant Breakout Room. Once in a Breakout Room, there is the option to go to other Breakout Rooms via a pull-down menu:
Messages, files, or media can be broadcasted to all Breakout Rooms in the session. This option appears at the top of the browser window in the blue bar.
- Click Broadcast to all rooms.
Select what you want to broadcast:
If you want to broadcast a message, you can do so in the following screen:
When broadcasting a file, the screen looks like this:
Play in breakout rooms becomes clickable if at least one file is selected.
If you want to broadcast media, you will see the media pop-up that allows you to choose media from the Gallery or My Media. Click Play to play the selected media in all Breakout rooms.
To end a Breakout session:
- Click Return to Breakout Manager.
If you haven't been to a Breakout Room, you'll see the following bar:
- Click Manage Breakout.
- In the next window, click End Breakout.
After a Breakout sessions has stopped, the shared files will be stores and can be retrieved in the Files tab.