Working with Grades & Medischonderwijs
This article will explain all you need to know about using Medischonderwijs in your course and to register grades from the Medischonderwijs tool into the Brightspace Gradebook.
Please see here for more information on:
The modules in MedischOnderwijs.nl send a Grade update to Brightspace either after every question, or at the end of the test.
- Students can turn off these notification emails. See manual here.
- Teachers can set up the grade item so the changes in the grades will not be published. These settings are explained in this article.
How do I register Grades from Medischonderwijs into Brightspace?
- First, place a Medischonderwijs module in your course content.
- As an instructor walk through a module up until you receive a "grade". This will trigger the grade item creation.
How do I change the grade item settings after grade creation?
Do you want to (temporary) hide the grade item for your students? Click on the arrow next to the name and select Hide from users.
After you the grade item is created you will see the associated grade item under Grades > Manage Grades. As you can see the grade item is created with the following settings:
The name of the grade item will match the name of the e-module you've placed in your course content.
- If you would like to change the name of the grade item, click the arrow > edit and change the name as desired.
- The type of grade item is always numeric
- You can not change the type of the grade item.
- If you would like to use a pass fail, rather than a numeric grade, you only need to change the grade scheme of this specific grade item. See here for more information.
- If you click on the arrow, you can see to which External Tool Link, in casu the Medischonderwijs link, this grade item is associated.
- You can not change the association of External Learning Tool grade items.
- By default a Medischonderwijs link is created with 100 points. Medischonderwijs and Brightspace communicate on a 100 points scale with each other.
- You may change the max points to 10, if you would like to. But you can also leave it at 100.
- Either way, Brightspace will be able to transform the received grade to a 10 points scale with the attached grade scheme. See here for more information.
- By default a Medischonderwijs link does not count towards the final grade calculation, therefore the weight is set to 0.
- If you DO want this grade to affect the final grade, click the arrow > edit and change the weight as desired, e.g. 10%.
How should I set up Medischonderwijs resits?
We recommend you to set up 2 separate Medischonderwijs links, which will create 2 separate grade items in the Brightspace Gradebook. Doing so, you will keep both grades separated.
If in any case you want the resit grade to overwrite the first attempt, just let the student retake the test from the same link. Doing so, you will only keep the most recent grade.
Medischonderwijs & Grades FAQ
How do I delete a grade item linked to a Medischonderwijs test?
You need to completely delete the Medischonderwijs link first, before you can remove the grade item. Unfortunately, there is currently no other way to remove the grade item.
Please see here for a step-by-step manual on how to remove an External Tool link, like Medischonderwijs, from your course.
Can I use Medischonderwijs without registering a grade in the Gradebook?
If a Medischonderwijs module registers a grade, it will always send it to the Brightspace Gradebook. Of course, there are some Medischonderwijs modules that do not contain a test. Therefore, for these modules a grade item will not be created.
Tip! Although Medischonderwijs graded modules automatically create a grade item, you can hide the grades for your students. In that way only you as an instructor will see the grades.
Which grade is registered in the Gradebook?
Medischonderwijs always sends the most recent grade to Brightspace. This means that if a student retakes the module, the grade in Brightspace will be overwritten with the most recent grade.