Recommended settings for the Gradebook
The recommended Gradebook settings for Leiden University Courses can be set up by following the instructions on this page.
Step 1: Download and import the example Gradebook
To ease the process of setting up your Gradebook, the Brightspace support team of Leiden University have created standard Leiden Gradebooks. These can be downloaded from the support site and can be imported into a course.
Download the desired Leiden Gradebook via the following page: Leiden Gradebooks, downloadable formats. An explanation for adding a Leiden Gradebook(.zip) can also be found on this page.
Step 2: Set-up Wizard
- Click on Grades in the navbar of the course.
- Click on Setup Wizard.
- Click Start at the bottom of the page.
In the Setup Wizard, you can set the default settings of the Gradebook. There are 7 steps that must be followed to set up the Gradebook. Below, we explain the recommended setting.
Click Continue after each step to continue to the next step.
- Grading System. Select Weighted here.
- Final Grade Released. Select Release the Calculated Final Grade here.
- Grade Calculations. Choose both Drop ungraded items and Automatically keep final grades updated here.
- Choose Default Grade Scheme. Choose what applies to the course. (The following scheme is automatically set: Leiden Scheme_Partial Grade_Rounded off at 0.1_ Pass 5.5.)
- Managing View Display Options. Select 1 decimal to display here.
- Student View Display Options.
- Make sure that all parts are checked at Grade Details.
- 1 decimal to be displayed.
- Display 50 characters for Text items at Characters Displayed.
- Unchecked: Display final grade calculation to users at Final Grade Calculation.
- Grades Setup Summary. To complete the process, select Finish.
Step 3: Adjustments to the Gradebook
Through Settings, it is possible to adjust the Gradebook to suit your viewing preferences.
- Personal Display Options:
- User Details: by checking the box next to Username, user names are displayed on the list.
- Grade Details: here you can indicate whether you want to display the final grade or the weighted grade, the symbol of the Grade scheme and the color of the Grade scheme on the list.
- Number of characters to display for text items: enter a number between 0 and 50 to indicate how many characters may be displayed with a grade item or category.
- Number of columns before user details repeat: allows you to specify how many columns are displayed before user data is repeated. Enter a number between 0 and 99 here.
- Number of users before column header repeats: indicate here with a number between 0 and 50 how often the column title must be repeated in the list.
- Repeat Final Grades: indicate here whether you want to have the calculated and / or adjusted final grade displayed at the beginning of the list.
- Start Page: here you can indicate which page will be displayed first if you go to Grades via the navbar.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Org Unit Display Options:
- Managing View Display Options: select here with a number between 0 and 5 how many decimal places are displayed with a number.
Student View Display Options:
- Grade Details: here you can indicate whether you want to display the grade, the weighted grade, the symbol of the Grade scheme and the color of the Grade scheme in the 'submission view'.
- Decimals Displayed: choose here with a number between 0 and 5 how many decimal places are displayed with a number.
- Characters Displayed: enter a number between 0 and 50 to indicate how many characters users can see for a number in the Grade tool.
- Final Grade Calculation: indicate whether users can see how their final grade is calculated.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Calculation Options:
Grading System: select how the grades are calculated. Choose from:
- A weight based calculation
- A point based calculation
- A formula based calculation
- Final Grade Released: select which grade is available for release to students and whether the grades are released manually or automatically.
- Grade Calculations: choose how Brightspace treats ungraded grade items and whether the final grades are automatically updated.