How do I assess a quiz (grade item)?
To assess quizzes using a grade item, you first have to attach a grade item to the quiz. If you want to learn more, read the article How do I attach a grade item to a quiz?
First, click Course Tools in the navbar of your course and then click Quizzes. You will be navigated to the Manage-Quizzes tab. Follow the steps provided below to learn how to assess quizzes by users, attempts, and per question.
- Click the fold-out arrow next to the quiz you want to assess.
- Click Grade. You will be navigated to the Users tab.
Assessing by Users
- Under the Users tab you can see the names of all of the students in the course, as well as how many quiz attempts they have completed.
- You have three viewing options:
- View By, allows you select whether you want to see all students (User) or all students from a specific group (Groups). Click Apply to apply your selection.
- Search For, lets you search for a specific student.
- Restrict to, shows you students who:
- have not completed a quiz attempt;
- have completed a quiz attempt;
- still need to finish one or multiple quiz attempts;
- have already been assessed;
- have previously viewed quiz attempts.
- Select Users who are exempt if you want to see the students who are exempt.
- More Actions can be used change the display settings of the table. Click the option Display options.
- Display Options, lets you select which details of a quiz attempt you will see under Users and Attempts. This can be: the achieved score (Quiz Score), the grade scheme that was used(Quiz Score), when an attempt is completed (Completed), and whether you can use the trash bin icon to delete quiz attempts (Allow Reset).
- Click on an attempt to assess it.
- Click the arrows to assess the attempts of the previous or next student.
- Use Attempt to switch between the different attempts of the same student.
- Attempt... will show you the details of the attempt.
- Click Auto-Grade to automatically assess the attempt. Note that selecting this option will overwrite every change you have made so far while assessing this attempts.
- Enter a score manually if desired.
- Student View Preview shows you how students will see their score. Click the arrow to change the settings. Note that by changing the setting here, you will overwrite the default view for this grade item.
- Use Attempt Feedback to enter feedback for this score. The feedback is always visible for the student.
- Use Quiz Results to see the answers students have given for each question of the quiz as well as the correct answers and the score Brightspace assigned for each question. You can change the score and add feedback (or change default feedback) for each question.
- Click Save Draft to save the assessment and to return to the Users tab.
Assessing by Attempts
- The Attempts tab will show all the attempts of all the students in a horizontal row.
- You can filter on a quiz attempt rather than on a student:
- Use Restrict to to select whether you want to see all completed attempts, the completed attempts within a certain period, the attempts that have not been completed or the attempts you have viewed previously.
- Then you can select whether you want to see assessed or un-assessed attempts, attempts with a score higher or lower than a certain percentage, attempts that have been completed before or after a certain date, or attempts by students who are exempted.
- Click an attempt to assess it. You will navigate to the same screen you would go to when you select an attempt on the Users tab.
Assessing by Questions
Use the Questions tab to assess attempts per question instead of per attempt or student.
- Select Grade Individual Responses to assess the given answers
- Select Blind Marking if you do not want to see which student gave what answer when you assess the answers. Note that this option is turned off by default.
- Select View Graded Responses if you do not want to assess any answer that have been previously assessed by you or another teacher in the course. Note that this option is turned on by default.
- Select Update All Attempts if you want to update all attempts after altering a quiz question.
- Click a question to assess the answers.
If you have altered the quiz after the students have submitted attempts, the old questions can be found under Questions that are not in the quiz anymore.
- Use the arrows or click the numbers to navigate to a previous/next attempt.
- You can have multiple attempts on one page, which means you have to navigate less. To do this, click the fold-out arrow and select how many answers you want to see on a page in the drop-down menu.
- The gray bar shows which students has given the answer. If you have selected the Blind Marking option, you will see a number instead of a name.
- The submitted answer will be below the gray bar. A check mark will appear behind the answer if Brightspace has marked the answer as correct.
- The current score for the answer can be found under Score. You can change this if desired.
- Click Expand question feedback to add feedback or change the default feedback if desired.
- Click Save to save a score and feedback, or click Save and Continue to save the assessment and directly go to the next attempt. Click Go Back to Questions to return to the Questions tab.
You are browsing through all of the attempts made by your students. If students have handed in multiple attempts, you will not be able to see whether you have gone to the next student when Blind Marking is turned on. This will not be a problem if you want to assess all attempts.
If you only want to assess specific attempts (for example the last attempt) this method is not useful. To save yourself time it is advised to turn Blind Marking off, or to assess the attempts based on attempt rather than per question.
How do I publish quiz assessments and export attempts?
- Navigate to Users or Attempts.
- Make sure that all attempts that you will publish are selected. The attempts will be published by default if you have selected that attempts will automatically appear in the grade book when setting up the quiz. Note that if you do not want to publish all attempts you have to deselect the attempts concerned.
- Click Publish Feedback to publish the updated scores in the grade book and to return to the Quizzes homepage.
- You may also want to export the results to a .csv file (Export to CSV) or an Excel file (Export to Excel). You can also export the event logs to a .csv-file (Export Event Logs). An event log is an overview of when an attempt was opened, filled out and saved by a student.
Video: How to assess a Quiz manually
Below, you can watch a video made by Brightspace supplier D2L. Note: these videos show a Brightspace environment that has a different look and feel to the Universiteit Leiden Brightspace environment.