PeerMark / Peer Review
Peer Reviews through PeerMark in the Brightspace environment work almost exactly the same as they did in Blackboard, with one notable exception: students submit the paper directly to the PeerMark assignment themselves.
It is no longer required to have a separate Turnitin assignment for the PeerMark assignment to be based on.
How to create an assignment for Peer Review with PeerMark
- From your main course overview click on Content in the NavBar.
- Select the (sub)unit you want to place the PeerMark assignment in and click on the Add existing-button in the right top corner.
- Select PeerMark and the screen below will pop-up.
- Fill in the assignment title, max grade, instructions, dates accordingly as if it's a normal Turnitin Assignment.
- Click on Submit.
- The PeerMark assignment should now appear in the desired (sub)unit. Select the PeerMark assignment and click on Settings in the upper right corner of the assignment to enable PeerMark in order for students to review each other.
- Check the box Enable PeerMark.
- Click on the Optional Settings cog to change submission, comparison and similarity report settings.
- Make sure the Save these settings for future (under Optional settings) checkbox is UNCHECKED.
- When everything is set up correctly press Submit.
Remember that in the Settings-tab you always refer to the settings for the original assignment. You have now created a Turnitin-assignment and enabled the ability to use PeerMark. How to set up a Peer Review assignment is discussed in the following part of the manual.
After the assignment is created you must setup the Peer Review options needed for the review.
There are three tabs available:
- PeerMark Assignment
- PeerMark Questions
When changing to another tab, remember to click Save & Continue.
Here you can edit the title, set instructions for the students, set the maximum points available and edit the specific dates for this Peer Review assignment.
Click Additional Settings-cog. Here changes can be made to the number of papers the students have to review, whether they can see who reviewed them, as well as other settings.
Contains the questions the students are required to answer. These can be selected from the library or created and added manually.
Allows you to assign papers to specific students, un-assign them and exclude certain students from the Peer Review.
Giving feedback via PeerMark
It is possible to give feedback on students' work via the PeerMark-functionality.
- When you create the PeerMark-assignment, Brightspace automatically creates a Grade Item for the original assignment.
- Grades for the original submission are automatically transferred to Brightspace's Gradebook.
Do not forget to alter the weight of the Grade Item in the Gradebook: by default, it is set on 10%.
- It is also possible to give feedback on the Peer Review submissions made by a student.
Be aware: Review assignments are not automatically transferred to the Gradebook. It is necessary to manually create a Grade Item for the Review-assignment. In order to make the grades available for students, the grades need to be manually entered in Brightspace's Gradebook.