Zoom is a video tool that is slightly lighter on the computer than Kaltura Live Room, but Zoom is also less functional. This is mainly reflected in the lower demands placed on the computer hardware, but for full-fledged interactive sessions, bandwidth requirements are usually similar.
Below you will find the system requirements for using Zoom.
Hardware requirements and recommendations
Minimum hardware requirements:
- Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks of Windows 7.
- Browser: Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari for Mac.
- Single-core 1 GHz.
- 1 GB RAM.
Recommended hardware requirements:
- Mac OS 10.14 Mojave of Windows 10.
- Browser: Rand, Firefox, Chrome en Safari for Mac.
- Dual-core 2 GHz or higher.
- 4 GB RAM.
Internet requirements and recommendations
Minimum internet requirements:
- Broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE).
- 1.2Mbps (download) for webinar participants (a large session with only the speaker video-enabled).
- 1.5Mbps (upload/download) for when you attend a group session.
- 3.0Mbps (upload/download) for when you attend a group session but also share your own video in 1080p
Recommended bandwidth for meetings and webinar panelists:
- For group video calls:
- For gallery playback and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (upload/download).
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 2.5Mbps (upload/download).
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 3.0Mbps (upload/download).
Recommended bandwidth for webinar participants:
- For 1:1 video calling: 600kbps (download) for high-quality video and 1.2Mbps (download) for HD video.
Tablets en phones
Supported operating systems (iOS and Android)
- iOS 8.0 or later:
- Send and receive video using a front or rear camera:
- iPhone 4 or later, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, iPad 2 or later, iPod touch 4th generation, iPhone 3GS (no front camera)
- iPadOS 13 or later
- Android 5.0x or later
Supported browsers for web start
- iOS/iPadOS: Safari5+, Chrome
- Android: Webkit (default), Chrome
- Any 1GHz single-core processor or better (non-Intel)
The bandwidth used by Zoom is optimized for the best experience based on the participants' network. It will automatically adapt for 3G or WiFi.
Recommended bandwidth over WiFi:
- For 1:1 video calling: 600kbps (up/down) for high quality video and 1.2 Mbps (upload/download) for HD video.
- For group video calling: 600kbps/1.2Mbps (upload/download) for high quality video. To view the gallery: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (upload/download).
Please note that if you use hardware and internet that is not met with the recommended requirements, it is likely you have to deal with the reduced experience.